Sunday, March 2, 2008

A (very) late thought for Valentine's Day

"...Nobody said it was easy,
No one ever said it would be this hard...."
-Coldplay "The Scientist"

So much has been running through my mind this past month. If all goes well, I should be leaving at the end of March to Massachusetts for Army training. It's not set in stone yet. So there is still room for changes. There is a great part of me that eagerly looks forward to this opportunity. However, I still have reservations. There are those relationships and friendships that I would like to strengthen and develop here in College Station. Are they strong enough that we will continue correspondence? Time will tell.

It's kinda funny when I've thought about my past over this past month through the Valentine's holiday. If the goal in my relationships, romantic or otherwise, is for the other person to be a better man/woman of God, then I have ensure that I seek Godliness, among other qualities, at all times. So my first criteria in any type of romantic relationship is that she must desire and practice to be a Godly woman.

Check.

Other than that, other variables are reviewed on a case-by-case situation. I've realized that for me, I have another criteria which is almost as limiting. She must be willing and open for periods of separation and being apart. I have found that this criteria can almost be more selective than the previous. Some people are not cut out for it and want no part of that. That's okay. There is nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately, that is a luxury outside of my grasp for where God has called me at this present time.

I will be gone for periods of time. Sometimes known. Sometimes unknown. I remember in a former relationship, my girlfriend at the time had me read Passion for Purity by Elisabeth Elliot. I don't remember much from the book. But I do remember that Elisabeth and her husband were separated for a long time. I remember thinking at the time that I was reading it, what a horrible situation. Now, older, maybe wiser. Maybe not. I see distance as an opportunity for strength and growth. And purity.

So, I'm going back to the start. Ensuring that my main focus is on God. Whatever springs forth from that is an added blessing. The timing of which I do not know. I can only handle those things within my limited control. Whether I meet a woman of God who is up for the challenge or find one who is not, I cannot and should not worry. I still must seek to glorify God in all I do where He has put me.

Until next time: Continue In Excellence.
jdmerx

p.s. Hopefully, the freuqency of my posts should increase.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Hey man thanks for linking my blog